What's new
What's new

Steel Turned Parts, 5" dia x 9" long, small quantities of several PN's.

LOTT

Stainless
Anyone want to quote some parts? It would be 5-10 each of 5-10 different parts. I don't have a big enough lathe to run them in house. Full disclosure- this is for a proposal we are putting together, don't have the PO yet.

Parts are mild steel, a couple +/-.002 tolerance but mostly +/- 1/64. 1-1/2" ID threads. Here's a dumbed down example of what we need (dimensions in inches). If you're interested shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send actual drawings.

Part.png

Yeah, as much as I dearly love the 42mm Miyano, there is no fitting these in there. For whatever reason I keep needing large turned parts the last couple months, where I never have before. Up till now 1" diameter x 2-1/4" long has been a big part.

Even an SL2 would eat those up, we gotta get you a lathe. I'm going to say off the top of my head $20 each, see how close that comes :)
Not even close if you have to buy the steel. Those dimensions are proper units.
Ouch, just looked at 5” 1018.

Not even close if you have to buy the steel.
Oh yeah, I was just thinking of machine time. Should have said that.

They say materials in the US have gone through the roof. Not so much in China, most stuff is about the same as a few years ago, with a few things cheaper.

People in the US get fucked all the time. When Lloyd and Jamie want a new plane, they just bleed you.

Anyhoo, 10CC Cinturn would slam through those pretty quick.

OT (other topic)
Sure makes printing a sand casting logical when one thinks about tossing pounds of chips in the dimpater.
I know cast cant be used for everything.
Would casting make sense for a lousy hundred parts of various shapes? When you still would need to turn the OD?

Printing sand molds is pretty cool stuff, but NOT the way to go for more than 1-2 parts, and certainly not something with this simple a shape.
My guess is printing a sand mold of that size would be north of $500 without the metal. Someday the price will come way down, but not at the current state of the technology.

Back