What's new
What's new

NGC haas...coolant in the eye on manual tool change every time

Speedie

Stainless
Does anybody else have the same problem? When you have about one eighth of an inch where the tool either get sucked up into the spindle or the draw bar pops it back out. And either way, it's spitting coolant right into your eye, because it's so tight and you have to literally push up on the tool with about fifteen pounds of force to make sure that it's actually going to get pulled up by the drawbar. We now have 5 new haases and every one of them the tools suck the put in, if they're wet or there's any coolant you're gonna get sprayed in the face. Did they chimp out on the actual draw bar travel???

Last edited:
Do you have through spindle coolant? Is that what's drooling down onto the tool? If so, that's exactly what the air purge is there for: clearing the taper for a dry, clean fit.

If you don't have TSC, how is coolant getting on the shank of the tool before you try to load it? Again: the air purge is doing exactly what it's designed to do--clear the taper.

Do you have through spindle coolant? Is that what's drooling down onto the tool? If so, that's exactly what the air purge is there for: clearing the taper for a dry, clean fit.

If you don't have TSC, how is coolant getting on the shank of the tool before you try to load it? Again: the air purge is doing exactly what it's designed to do--clear the taper.
I guess you have to operate a ngc to even know. It must air purge just before clamping unlike most spindles. With flood coolant it is the same. You will get sprayed in the eyes if the spindle or tool is wet.

Every Haas mill I've ever touched used an air blast through the spindle bore during tool change. That's going back to 2004. Again: where is the coolant coming from? If the spindle area is wet and dripping coolant everywhere, of course a puff of air from the taper is going to blow coolant somewhere. I've never questioned that because that's what it's supposed to do.

If it's dripping, I use the blow gun to blast that coolant away from the area before I do the change. Otherwise it's generally drooling coolant on my hand and arm anyway. And while I'm doing that, the doors are mostly closed and I'm reaching inside with my arm, while I hide behind the safety of the door.

How do other machines work?

Every Haas mill I've ever touched used an air blast through the spindle bore during tool change. That's going back to 2004. Again: where is the coolant coming from? If the spindle area is wet and dripping coolant everywhere, of course a puff of air from the taper is going to blow coolant somewhere. I've never questioned that because that's what it's supposed to do.

If it's dripping, I use the blow gun to blast that coolant away from the area before I do the change. Otherwise it's generally drooling coolant on my hand and arm anyway. And while I'm doing that, the doors are mostly closed and I'm reaching inside with my arm, while I hide behind the safety of the door.

How do other machines work?

That's how my fadal is as well.

If you mean the little "pop" when releasing the button and the tool gets pulled up into place, it's cause by the toolholder assembly not having a place for the air to escape. Try loading an empty toolholder into the spindle and you will see what I am trying to explain.

If you mean the little "pop" when releasing the button and the tool gets pulled up into place, it's cause by the toolholder assembly not having a place for the air to escape.

Every Haas mill I've ever touched used an air blast through the spindle bore during tool change. That's going back to 2004.

Well, as someone who has bitched to the HFO and directly to Haas about it, it is a fucking specialty of the NGC machines!
They all do it, some more than the other.
My VF4 is the worst, the VF2 ( both TSC ) is only slightly better.
The problem is that when you insert the tool manually, the damned thing gives a "second hit" ( my best description ) to the tool holder through the air purge.
The best way to demonstrate the problem is to put in an empty holder with a hollow pullstud, and then do it with a solid one.
The hollow will sunk into the spindle beautifully, but the solid one will give your hand a whack!
The worst is that sometimes that whack makes your hand twist a little, enough that the two keys get out of alignment, which results in either a faliure to clamp, or it will suck it in, but will also straighten the alignment. The latter will happen with a wicked loud bang, enough to make you shit your pants.

Really stupid design!!!

Well, as someone who has bitched to the HFO and directly to Haas about it, it is a fucking specialty of the NGC machines!
They all do it, some more than the other.
My VF4 is the worst, the VF2 ( both TSC ) is only slightly better.
The problem is that when you insert the tool manually, the damned thing gives a "second hit" ( my best description ) to the tool holder through the air purge.
The best way to demonstrate the problem is to put in an empty holder with a hollow pullstud, and then do it with a solid one.
The hollow will sunk into the spindle beautifully, but the solid one will give your hand a whack!
The worst is that sometimes that whack makes your hand twist a little, enough that the two keys get out of alignment, which results in either a faliure to clamp, or it will suck it in, but will also straighten the alignment. The latter will happen with a wicked loud bang, enough to make you shit your pants.

Really stupid design!!!
I like when it makes it bob up and down in the spindle until you release the button :LOL:

Back