What's new
What's new

Slightly experienced machinist seeking employment

if your still working at a shop when you give notice that your leaving don't give the boss an ear full of your view of how screwed up the company is. I worked for four companies before retiring. Two of those companies I returned to get my job back and was happy to get my job back. Don't burn bridges
Although when I quit I was so angry and was sick of this screwed up company. The issue with the things that were screwed up with the company was actually ME getting too caught up with issues that really weren't that bad.
Don't over analyze the company. Analyze the part your making and look at how to get better at the job.

Don't be the guy that works for 45 years and goes to work everyday hating your job but on the other hand don't quit every year looking for the perfect job. There is no perfect job

Good luck in your job search and sorry about giving you an earful of maybe unwanted advise.

Look at your job request. Your putting conditions on taking a job. With one years experience that appears errogant.

If you dont want to make bomb parts that's fine but ask what kind of work a company does during an interview or google the company and most would post their product line.
Also read and think about some of what other forum members posted here. 500 years of experience on this forum.

I would love to start over and get another 45 years knowing what I know now.

Defense and aerospace are necessary evel's in this world. Aerospace not all defense related
Just what an employer wants, to have to explain what each job he hands you is and why its good for the world.
This is bringing back bad dreams of an employee a couple years back that was a nightmare!!

What do you know, he threatened to sue me when he got fired due to performance issues, and too many no-shows. There are certain things you learn over the years of being an employer and this is a big red flag.

"I can be here on time every day, ...
This reminded me of my first job in industry out of the Air Force. Start time was 0730 and I was always at work before 0720 or so. After a couple weeks, my boss told me he appreciated me being on time every day. I didn't say it, but I immediately thought, "You mean not being on time is an option?" Unthinkable in the Air Force, at least in my job.

Interesting how people have replied to this, and it seems like this board is looking for an excuse to argue with the OP instead of solving the question, or even better understanding/refining their requirements.

At some point I decided that I (engineer) didn't want to make weapons. It's unfortunate because there a lot of very interesting technical challenges in (example) cruise missile development, particularly before we had all the fancy mems accelerometers and such, but it's what I chose.
That said, it didn't stop me from making aircrew safety devices for both US and international militaries. Currently I work at a place that decided military was ok, but fire control specifically is not allowed.
I worked in automotive for a decade. Sure a small percentage of those parts go into military trucks, but that's not the primary use like say working at a grenade manufacturer. Other than not directly applying for a job at Raytheon I haven't had to try particularly hard to do this. I could have worked in medical, oilfield (lived in Texas), automotive (lived in the rust belt), general industrial, or any number of other fields.
While there is plenty of civilian aerospace, there are also a large number of fields where at least a large percentage of employers aren't making weapons or law degrees as their day to day work.
Just because the OP hasn't decided to go into a high paying non-machining field doesn't mean they want to work at minimum wage forever, there might just be some middle ground.

note this is a 2021 thread.
Take the best job where nice cars are in the parking lot.
Try not to make waves but make good parts. Learn all you can.Being contrversital about non tooling issues can turn off some old timers who have good tooling advice /methids to share.
I have really enjoyed being in the machine/tooling trades, and now retired.
Cleaning carpets is a decent job where feelings should not be a factor.
I am cleaning carpets at my daughters church in a small horse an buggy town..Likely save them the 40K they were told would be needed to put in a new wood floor on top of the ecxisting floor.
It the carpet was a real mess of stains, and now looking almost new.
Hands and knees spot scrub brush work going over and over the stains.
Noadays some people are thinking farming is a crime and bad for the enviroment.

Last edited:
Note this is a 2021 thread..
Knocking on doors is the best way to get a job.

One might say:
"I can turn a good thread, run a surface grinder, do and set up some mill work, load a CNC and follow instructions ... and will sweep the floor and mop the bathroons to get a foot in the door.

Back