What's new
What's new

Whitcomb planer to sell or scrap

groot

Plastic
I have an old planer that is ready for a new home or someone, who has the interest and time, to refurbish. Else it's time for it to be scrapped.
This planer was picked up in the 80's and was fitted to an overhead drive. Was idle most of the time but recently have had to remove the drive and prepare for departure of this machine.
It's located in Katy, TX area.
I would prefer this machine find it's way to someone who would might want it rather than sending it to scrap.

whitcomb1.JPG

That Whitcomb looks very much like my H.C. Pease Planer, which was also made in Worcester. Dimensions look very much in line with mine. I had to move mine through hell and high water, using snatch blocks and chain falls to drag it up and out of the shop it was in. I towed it behind my Toyota Tundra with helper springs on a 7k single axle tilting trailer, only had to go 40 minutes or so, but I was happy it was not any further. I have since moved it on a larger double axle trailer and it was much more forgiving, but if you’re driving a 3/4 or one ton truck, I would do the trip. Once on a pallet jack, or rigging rollers, I could just barely make it budge an inch, so bring help or some rigging gear. Hopefully it hasn’t gone to scrap.

Rob F, let us know, I'm tempted to get a freight quote. Driving is out of the question for me, I don't think my old Chevy would make it that far.

Rob F, let us know, I'm tempted to get a freight quote. Driving is out of the question for me, I don't think my old Chevy would make it that far.
I have reached out with contact info to try and make it happen. It should easily fit on my car trailer and tow nicely behind a buddies diesel F250. My F350 runs on propane and that can be a challenge on a long trip....

I have reached out with contact info to try and make it happen. It should easily fit on my car trailer and tow nicely behind a buddies diesel F250. My F350 runs on propane and that can be a challenge on a long trip....
Well in that case, let me know if you change your mind after you haul it back to California :D

Here is a little more agreeable description from the 1920 catalog

The later jobs had belts both sides

This looks like Whitcomb's 4 foot planer and an earlier one, so the weight would be a lot less.
Catalog pages from 1888 and 1893. No illustration of the 4' in the 1893 catalog so I have shown the 6' one.

Rob

Attachments

• Whitcomb 1888 3.jpg
    Whitcomb 1888 3.jpg
    610.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Whitcomb 1888 4.jpg
    Whitcomb 1888 4.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Whitcomb 1893 3.jpg
    Whitcomb 1893 3.jpg
    561.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Whitcomb 1893 5.jpg
    Whitcomb 1893 5.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 12
If the weight really is like the pages Rob Langs last post of 2250 lbs that almost goes in the bed of a pick up.
3600 mile round trip, guesstimate of 200 gallons diesel at avg $4.00 gallon (outside of Ca). And 4 days travel time.

Last edited:
If the weight really is like the pages Rob Langs last post of 2250 lbs that almost goes in the bed of a pick up.
3600 mile round trip, guesstimate of 200 gallons diesel at avg $4.00 gallon (outside of Ca). And 4 days travel time.

That weight is for the 3' one. The 1893 catalog says 2800lbs.

Rob

Looks pre-second belt drive, so late 1800's. Small version of David Richards machine. It's a cute thing!

If it dosn't pan out for Rob I might need to look into it. Short little drive down I-45 and over I-10....

Back